I have always loved wearing makeup, be it any special occasion or a casual outing with friends, I always try to look my best. It is not because I am not comfortable in my own skin but it gives me a boost of confidence and I feel like I can conquer everything.
I always make it a point to use less harsh makeup products because I have sensitive and acne-prone skin. The problem starts when I finally get home and it is time to remove my makeup using make-up removers.
To date, I have tried several make-up removers, but honestly, most of them contain harsh chemicals like contain alcohol, preservatives and other substances which can harm the skin.
That is when I turned to DIY makeup removers containing only natural ingredients and therefore are gentle to the skin.
Apart from just removing makeup, these DIY recipes also nourish the skin and thus are great skincare recipes as well.
[Also Read: Organic Makeup Brands You Will Definitely Fall In Love With]
Let's get started...
10 DIY Makeup Removers
1. Rosewater & Jojoba Oil Makeup Remover
This combination of jojoba oil and rose water can be used on all skin types, but it’s most suitable for dry skin. The jojoba oil provides anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits, while the rose water refreshes the skin and leaves a subtle, rose petal fragrance.
- Take an equal amount of organic jojoba oil and rose water and a bottle or jar for mixing and storage. Mix the two ingredients in a jar or bottle, Shake!
- Using either a cotton pad or ball, apply to your face and eyes. You can use a clean, dry cloth to gently remove any makeup that’s left behind.
2. Aloe Vera, Natural Oil & Honey Makeup Remover
Aloe Vera, Honey and any natural oil of our choice can work as a wonderful makeup remover. It wipes away all the makeup and nourishes the skin deeply, and the honey it contains is a great moisturiser for your skin.
- Take an equal amount of honey and aloe vera gel and add 2 tsp of any natural oil of choice. Blend the ingredients and make a smooth paste.
- Store in an airtight container, and be sure to keep your cleanser in the refrigerator if it contains fresh, preservative-free aloe vera.
- Use a small scoop of the cleanser to remove makeup by massaging it into the skin for one to two minutes before rinsing clean with cool water.
[Also Read: Make Your Own DIY Foundation (Powder & Liquid) At Home!]
3. Honey Face Wash
Honey is a great cleaning agent and can wipe away all your makeup in no time. It also has anti-bacterial properties which can shield your skin from stubborn acne.
- Take about a tsp of raw honey.
- Now to remove your makeup, spread it all over your face and massage in a circular motion.
- Allow the honey to sit for 5-10 minutes before removing it with a warm cloth. You will notice that all the makeup on your face has been removed and your skin feels as soft as ever.
4. DIY Makeup Remover Wipes
I know we find different kinds of makeup removing wipes in-store and we think that they are completely natural and safe. But they are not! They contain harsh chemicals that can harm your skin. And if you can, then why not make your own wipes at home?Ingredients
- Cotton Pads
- Pure aloe vera
- Witch hazel extract
- Liquid castile soap
- Fractionated coconut oil
- 8-12 drops skin-soothing essential oil like lavender or frankincense
- Take 1 tbsp pure aloe vera gel, 3 tsp witch hazel extract with 1 tsp liquid castile soap, 1 tsp coconut oil and 8-12 drops of any essential oil. Blend these ingredients well and store it in a jar.
- Now, stack the cotton pads in the jar, then gently shake them to coat them with the mixture.
- Use a cotton pad immersed in the magic potion to wipe your makeup off anytime you need a quick DIY makeup remover. It is a 100% natural and effective way to cleanse off your makeup!
5. Aloe And Olive Oil Makeup Remover
Aloe Vera and olive oil combined works wonders as a makeup remover. It is suitable for any skin type.
- Take Extra virgin olive oil and Aloe vera water. Start by filling up a bottle with aloe vera water.
- Now add a two-thirds cup of extra virgin olive oil to the water. You’ll notice that the oil will float above the water. Shake the mixture up, soak a cotton pad with it, and clean up your face.
6. DIY Coconut Oil Makeup Remover
Coconut oil works brilliantly in breaking up the water-resistant substances found in makeup and thus cleanses your face effectively. It also keeps the skin hydrated.
- Take unrefined coconut oil and scoop out a small amount of coconut oil from the jar. If the oil is solid, rub it between your palms until it melts.
- Gently spread the oil all over your face, eyelids, and lashes. Make sure that there is enough oil to move your fingers around easily. Now wipe off the excess oil and makeup using a wet wipe.
7. Witch Hazel Makeup Remover
Witch hazel works brilliantly to remove oil-based and water-based makeup. It is free of chemicals and also reduces the build-up in your pores.
- Take 4 tbsp of witch hazel and 2 tbsp of sweet almond oil into your bottle and add 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and mix them all.
- Add 3 tbsp of purified water, close the lid of the bottle, and shake well to blend the ingredients. Then dip a cotton ball into the solution and wipe your face.
8. Baby shampoo makeup remover
Baby products are mostly gentle for the skin and what can be better than actually using baby shampoo as a makeup remover.
- Take 1/2 tbsp of Johnson’s Baby Shampoo and 1/4 tsp olive oil or coconut oil. Now add both the ingredients into a container.
- Shake well and dip a cotton ball, cotton pad, or a cotton swab inside. Use on skin or eyes. Store in a cool, dry place, and be sure to shake well before each use.
[Also Read: DIY Peel Off Masks To Remove Blackheads With Best Product For Removing Them]
9. DIY Makeup Remover Scrub
This DIY makeup remover scrub can do wonders for your skin. It has natural ingredients like aloe vera and lavender, which remove your makeup and exfoliate your skin.
- 1/4 cup ground walnut shells
- 1/4 cup calendula oil
- 2 tbsp aloe vera gel
- 1 tbsp emulsifying wax
- 1 tsp castile soap
- 8 drops lavender essential oil
- Take walnut shells and castile soap in a small bowl; stir and set aside.
- Now over low heat, combine the calendula oil with the emulsifying wax in a small pot or double boiler and warm until the wax has melted.
- In a separate pot, gently warm the aloe vera gel for a minute or two, then add it to the oil mixture and whisk to create an emulsion. Add the emulsion to the walnut shell mixture, along with the essential oil.
- Stir once more to combine well and store in an air-tight jar. Massage about a 1/2 teaspoon over skin to cleanse, then rinse with warm water.
10. DIY Makeup Removing Balm
A cleansing balm is an oil-based skincare product that comes in a solid state and is used for cleansing and makeup removal. You can make a natural cleansing balm at home using a simple method and easily available ingredients.
- Take 1/4 cup jojoba oil and 1 tbsp beeswax pellets. Now add the oil and beeswax pellets to a double boiler, once the beeswax melts, pour the makeup remover balm into a storage container. Allow the makeup remover to set and cool before use.
- Store the sealed makeup remover in a cool, dark place for several months.
- To remove your makeup take a cotton ball, scoop out a small amount of makeup remover. Gently wipe off makeup using the cotton ball.
These were some of the most common DIY makeup removers which are not only chemical-free and safe but are also easy to make and affordable as well.
If you liked this article and it was helpful, make sure you follow us on the social media platforms and subscribe to PinkAdda for amazing content delivered straight to your mailbox! ❤️
Get the best we have to offer right in your inbox