Our underarms are very sensitive and hence they are susceptible to a variety of skin problems like discolouration, pigmentation, rashes, inflammation, ingrown hair and even infections.
Dark underarms are very common and while it doesn't bothersome, it can be a cause of embarrassment for others.
If you have dark underarms that are stopping you from flaunting your sleeveless dresses or tops then read on to know how to lighten underarms using effective home remedies, but first, let us take a look at some causes and basic tips...
What Causes Dark underarms?
- Dead cells accumulation
- Excessive sweating
- Discoloration, inflammation or ingrown hair due to frequent shavings
- Harsh chemical irritants in perfumes or deodorants
- Friction due to tight and restrictive clothing
- Hormonal imbalance and medical conditions like type 2 diabetes, PCOS, thyroid disorders etc.
- Certain medications like insulin, birth control pills, niacin, corticosteroids etc.
- Naturally darker skin colour and genetic factors
Some treatments for dark underarms include laser hair removal, dermabrasion, chemical peels, topical creams or lotions, oral antibiotics etc.
How to get rid of the dark underarms?
- Wash your underarms thoroughly while bathing to keep them clean.
- Wipe off sweat from your underarms to prevent it from clogging up your skin's pores.
- Moisturize your underarm hair with a conditioning shaving cream prior to shaving. Use a sharp razor and shave in the direction that the hair grows in.
- Always pat dry your underarms to prevent irritation caused by rubbing or pulling.
- Use natural deodorants without artificial fragrance, alcohol and harsh chemicals.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes that do not rub against your skin and cause friction.
- Exercise and eat a healthy diet to lose weight and stay fit if you are obese.
- Quit smoking.
- Talk to your doctor about your prescription medications.
- Try natural, safe and easy home remedies!
Home Remedies For Lightening Dark Underarms
1. Aloe Vera
- Aloe vera is anti-inflammatory, has antioxidants and is a medicinal plant. Aloe vera treats marks, spots, blemishes and hydrates the skin making it soft and supple.
- Slice an aloe vera leaf, rub the cool gel on your underarms and wash it off after a few hours.
- Aloe vera can be applied regularly and is suitable for all skin types.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar balances the pH level of the skin. It is anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. It lightens the skin.
- Mix one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons of honey or distilled water. Apply and wash it off after 10 minutes.
- Apple cider vinegar can be used on alternate days or thrice a week. Don't use this on dry or sensitive skin.
- Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and has medicinal properties. It treats pigmentation and discolouration. It makes the skin tone even.
- Mix turmeric powder with yoghurt, apply the smooth paste on your underarms and wash it off after 30 minutes.
- Turmeric can be applied twice or thrice a week. It can be used on all skin types.
4. Tea Tree Oil
- Tea Tree Oil has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. It soothes and moisturizes the skin. It also fades away marks and scars.
- Mix 5 drops of tea tree oil with 8 ounces of water. Store it in a spray bottle and spray it on your underarms every day after taking a bath.
- Spray it on dry underarms and let it dry naturally. Tea tree oil can be used regularly. Don't use on excessively oily or sweaty skin.
5. Orange Peel Powder
- Orange peel powder is abundant in Vitamin C. The citric acid present in it lightens marks and brightens the skin. It also gently exfoliates the skin.
- Mix orange peel powder with milk, apply it on your underarms and wash after 20 minutes.
- Do this once a day. This paste can be used on all skin types.
6. Lemon Juice
- Lemon juice is rich in citric acid, vitamin C and antioxidants. It is a natural bleaching agent. It effectively lightens spots and discolouration.
- Dilute a few drops of fresh lemon juice with distilled water, apply it on your face and rinse off after 10 minutes.
- Do this once a day. Do not use lemon juice on dry or sensitive skin.
- Potato has mild bleaching properties. Potato Juice has high starch content which absorbs excess oils. Potato lightens and improves the skin's complexion.
- Take a freshly cut potato slice and rub it on your underarms. Wash it off after 15 minutes.
- Do this twice daily. Potato juice can be applied to all skin types.
- Tomato is rich in antioxidants. It stimulates collagen production and brightens the skin tone. Tomatoes contain lycopene, vitamin C, K, B2 and potassium.
- Blend a ripe tomato and apply the paste on your underarms. Wash it off after it air dries.
- Tomato juice can be applied once or twice daily. Tomato suits all skin types.
9. Vitamin E
- Vitamin E not only lightens the skin but also nourishes it and makes it smooth. Vitamin E oil also cleanses the skin, moisturizes it and improves its elasticity.
- Simply empty a Vitamin E capsule and massage the oil on your underarms for 10 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Do this once every alternate day. Do not use if you have oily, acne-prone skin.
10. Multani Mitti
- Multani mitti is natural clay. It cleanses impurities from the skin. It also absorbs excess oils.
- Mix Multani mitti with distilled water and a few drops of lemon juice. Apply it on your underarms and wash off after it air dries.
- This pack can be used twice a week. Multani mitti might not suit sensitive skin.
11. Rose Water & Baking Soda
- Rosewater brightens and soothes the skin. It also balances the skin's pH level and moisturizes it. Baking soda gently exfoliates the skin.
- Mix 2 tablespoons rose water with 1 tablespoon baking soda (do not confuse with baking powder) and apply the paste on your underarms. Wash off after 10 minutes.
- This paste can be applied twice or thrice a week on all skin types.
- Cucumbers have high water content and are loaded with many vitamins and minerals. Cucumbers cool the skin and gradually improve the skin's complexion and appearance.
- Blend cucumber and apply the juice on your underarms using a cotton ball. Wash off after 20 minutes.
- Cucumber juice can be applied twice daily and works well for all skin types.
- QRAA Underarm Whitening Color Correction Mask For Dark Underarms
- Neuhack Pigmed dark underarm whitening cream for even-toned armpit
- Dot & Key Underarm Detox & Color Correction Mask
- Bare Body Essentials Underarm Cream for spotless, soft and nourished underarms
- Beautilo Advanced Brightening Whitening Underarm Cream
- Vital Organics Intimate Lightening Serum/Cream For Sensitive Skin Of Underarms
- The EnQ Under Arms Whitening Serum
- Bella Vita Organic DeoWhite Under Arm Skin Whitening & Lightening
- NIVEA Whitening Smooth Skin Deodorant
- Namyaa Intimate Lightening Serum For Sensitive Skin Of Underarms
If you liked this article and it was helpful, make sure you follow us on the social media platforms and subscribe to PinkAdda for amazing content delivered straight to your mailbox! ❤️
Get the best we have to offer right in your inbox