Ageing is an inescapable natural process that everyone must go through. As we age, our skin's production of Collagen and Elastin compounds gradually reduces.
Collagen and Elastin keep our skin radiant, youthful, firm and elastic.
Ageing weakens the connective tissues which link our bones and cartilage, our skin loses its natural elasticity and the evenly distributed fat under our skin surface loses its volume which results in the formation of clumps, thus causing sagging skin.
Sagging skin is most common in areas like the:
- Jowls- skin below chin and jawline
- Upper arms
What Causes Sagging Skin?
- Decrease In Collagen & Elastin
- Sun Damage
- Air Pollution & Environmental Factors
- Extreme Weight Loss
- Extreme Weight Gain
- Unhealthy Lifestyle
Treatments For Sagging Skin
1. Dermal Fillers
Dermal fillers involve injecting the skin with gel-like fillers that restore lost volume, smoothen and soften the skin.
Fillers remove the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and creases making the skin look plump and youthful.
Surgical procedures are used to treat loose and sagging skin.
Surgeries include facelift, neck lift, arm lift, tummy tuck, medial thigh lift, upper and lower body lifts.
3. Platelet Rich Plasma therapy
Platelet Rich Plasma therapy involves injecting the body's own platelet-rich plasma into the skin.
It stimulates collagen and elastin production and treats ageing skin.
Platelet Rich Plasma therapy effectively rejuvenates the skin.
4. Laser Resurfacing
Laser Resurfacing uses focused laser lights to penetrate under the skin's top layer and treat it from within.
Laser resurfacing tightens sagging skin, removes fine lines, wrinkles and age spots effectively.
5. Radiofrequency Microneedling
Radiofrequency Microneedling involves inserting a thin tube or many small medicated needles into the skin. The radiofrequency heats up the tissues underneath boosts collagen production and tightens up loose skin.
NOTE: Always consult a board-certified dermatologist for any cosmetic skin treatment procedures. A dermatologist will be able to suggest which treatment will suit you best with regards to your skin condition, medical issues, possible side effects, cost and duration of treatment.
Lifestyle Changes For Sagging Skin
1. Dry brush your skin for about 5 minutes before you take a bath to exfoliate your skin and increase blood circulation.
2. Moisturize your skin with a good moisturizer to keeps your skin plump, nourished and hydrated.
3. Eat protein-rich foods like legumes, milk, tofu, beans, fish, seeds, nuts, cottage cheese etc. Citrus fruits, tomatoes, beets, broccoli etc are good for the skin.
4. Make sure to consume fruits and vegetables that are rich in Antioxidants. Drink lots of water daily to flush out harmful toxins, improve your digestion, improve circulation and revive your skin.
5. Exercise regularly for at least 30 minutes to tighten up your muscles and keep yourself fit.
Basic stretches, walking, running, and cardio exercises are great for the body.
6. Omega 3 fatty acids help increase the skin's elasticity and firmness. Consume salmon, herring, whitefish, sardines and anchovies or take fish oil supplements if you do not eat fish.
7. Sleep for about 6-7 hours so that your skin gets enough time to rest and repair itself.
Sleep on your back to prevent your delicate facial skin from being rubbed by your pillowcase and bedding. It helps to avoid skin irritation, creases, wrinkles.
Home Remedies For Skin Tightening
1. Coconut Oil
- Coconut oil contains antioxidants that fight harmful free radicals.
- Coconut oil penetrates deep into the skin to moisturize and replenish the lost moisture.
- Massage the oil well into the affected skin using upward circular motions for 10-15 minutes.
- Leave it overnight or bath after a few hours. Repeat this every night.
2. Rosemary Oil
- Rosemary oil slows down the skin’s ageing process and stimulates blood circulation. It also has antiseptic properties.
- Dilute rosemary essential oil with a carrier oil and rub it gently into your skin. Message well for about 15 minutes.
- Rinse off and pat dry your skin. Repeat this twice a week.
3. Almond Oil
- Almond oil soothes dry skin and improves skin tone. It is rich in Vitamin E and A. It tightens sagging skin and moisturizes it.
- Mix almond oil with rose water and massage it into your skin using upward circular motions.
- Shower after about 20 minutes. Repeat this thrice a week.
4. Vitamin E Oil
- Vitamin E oil has antioxidants that nourish the skin, make it glow and reduce signs of ageing.
- Take a Vitamin E capsule, pierce it and massage the oil into your skin for about 15 - 20 minutes.
- You can leave it overnight or wash it after a few hours. Repeat this every alternate day.
5. Olive Oil
- Olive oil is rich in Vitamin E and is a great alternative to body lotions or body creams.
- Pat dry your skin after the shower and gently rub pure olive oil into your skin. Massage well to let your skin absorb it completely.
- Repeat this daily for firm, smooth and supple skin.
6. Mustard Oil
- Mustard oil contains high levels of Vitamin E which reduces signs of ageing like wrinkles and lines.
- Heat a little mustard oil and rub the warm oil into your skin for about 10 minutes using circular motions.
- Wash it off thoroughly using lukewarm water. Repeat this thrice a week.
7. Fish Oil
- Fish oil capsules are rich in omega 3 fatty acids that make the skin taut, plump and well-nourished.
- Pierce the fish oil capsule and massage the oil into your skin using upward circular motions. Wash after a few hours.
- Repeat this every alternate day or thrice a week.
B. Face Masks / Face Packs
- Tomato juice has natural anti-ageing properties. Tomato juice tones the skin, makes it firm and improves the skin tone.
- Blend a fresh tomato and apply the puree to your skin. You can also add lemon juice and cucumber paste to it.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes and rinse off with cold water. Apply this paste once daily.
2. Aloe Vera & Lime Juice
- Aloe vera gel not only tightens the skin but also makes it soft, clean and clear. Aloe vera is anti-inflammatory, contains antioxidants and is antiseptic too...quite magical, eh?
- Scoop out aloe vera juice from an aloe leaf and add a few drops of lemon juice to it. Rub this mixture on your skin while massaging it gently.
- Wash it off after 40 minutes. Repeat this every alternate day.
3. Papaya & Yoghurt
- Papaya makes the skin glow. It also contains Vitamin C, Vitamin A and antioxidants that tighten the skin.
- The lactic acid present in yoghurt makes the skin firm and elastic.
- Mash a ripe papaya and mix the pulp with yoghurt. Apply this paste on your skin and massage with upward circular motions for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse off with cool water. Repeat this thrice or twice a week.
4. Banana & Yoghurt
- Bananas are rich in vitamins, minerals, iron, zinc, potassium and magnesium. Yoghurt contains lactic acid and probiotics which tighten the skin.
- Mash a ripe banana and mix the pulp with pure milk. Apply this paste on your skin and massage it well.
- Rinse off after 20 minutes. Repeat this twice a week.
5. Egg White & Honey
- Egg white tightens the skin and improves its elasticity. Honey moisturizes the skin and treats inflammation.
- Carefully break an egg and separate the egg whites. Add one tablespoon of honey and mix well.
- Apply this mask on sagging skin and wash off after 20 minutes. Repeat this once a week.
6. Multani Mitti & Green Tea
- Multani mitti cleanses impurities and tightens the skin. Green tea contains antioxidants that rejuvenate the skin.
- Mix Multani mitti with brewed green tea and apply the mask to your skin. Let it dry completely.
- Rinse off and pat dry. Repeat this thrice a week.
7. Coffee Grounds & Lime Juice
- Coffee contains caffeine which helps in lymphatic drainage and makes the skin firm. Lime juice is rich in Vitamin C which aids in collagen synthesis.
- Mix coffee grounds with a little bit of coconut oil and lime juice. Rub it on the skin in circular motions for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off and pat dry. Repeat this twice a week.
Extra: Add Epsom Salt or Alum to your bathwater and soak in it to relax your body and make your skin firm!
Disclaimer: Do not use any ingredient if you are allergic to it. Always do a patch test before applying anything directly to your face or sensitive skin.
If you liked this article and it was helpful, make sure you follow us on the social media platforms and subscribe to PinkAdda for amazing content delivered straight to your mailbox! ❤️
Get the best we have to offer right in your inbox