Don't we all wish that we'd been naturally blessed with beautiful hair?
But unfortunately, most people nowadays suffer from hair problems of some or another kind.
Luckily, modern beauty problems have modern solutions and getting a Keratin Treatment might be exactly what you need to get jealous worthy hair.
Keratin is the structural protein that makes up our hair and nails and keeps them healthy. When your hair undergoes a keratin treatment it basically involves infusing keratin into the porous parts of your hair strands.
A keratin treatment will give you all of the hair goals mentioned below!
- Strong ✓
- Smooth ✓
- Soft ✓
- Sleek ✓
- Shiny ✓
- Silky ✓
- Glossy ✓
- Frizz-free ✓
- Easy to style ✓
- Easy to manage ✓
Is it Possible to do Keratin Treatment at Home?
Yes, it is absolutely possible to do it at home. A keratin treatment can approximately take up to 2-3 hours. It depends on how long your hair is and how much volume your hair has.
Make sure to do it on a weekend or holiday when you have enough time to relax and go through the whole treatment procedure.
Steps to do Keratin Treatment at Home
1. Shampoo Your Hair
Firstly shampoo and cleanse your hair using a clarifying (anti-residue) shampoo. Shampoo your hair at least twice and rinse thoroughly. Do not apply any conditioner, moisturizer or serum after shampooing.
2. Blow Dry Your Hair
Make sure to check your product's usage direction to see if your hair should be completely dry or slightly damp. Dry your hair according to the given instructions. Blow-dry your hair using medium heat or pat dry using a cotton t-shirt.
3. Divide Your Hair Into Sections
Part your hair into separate sections. Clip up each section of your hair to secure it in place. This will make it easier for you to apply the product evenly to your hair.
4. Apply The Product On Your Hair
Remove the clip from one section of your hair, apply the product evenly using a hair colouring brush. Be patient and apply slowly, little by little but coat the whole hair length. Repeat this with every section.
Always start applying from the hair ends and stop when you're one inch away from the scalp. Comb your hair gently with a wide-tooth comb to work the product into your tresses.
5. Let The Product Work On Your Hair
Let the product sit on your hair for at least 30 minutes. Ideally, let it work on your hair for the time duration recommended in the product's instruction manual. This will give your hair enough time to absorb the keratin treatment. You can wear a shower cap to intensify the treatment.
6. Blow Dry Your Hair Again
Remove your shower cap and gently blow dry your hair once again. Check if your product's instructions specifically mention either a hot or cold setting for your blow dryer. Make sure to dry the product completely.
7. Straighten Your Hair
Finally, separate your dried hair into small sections and use a flat straightening iron to iron your hair. Keep the heat in a medium setting. This final step will seal the keratin into your locks.
Is Keratin Treatment Safe For Hair?
Getting a keratin treatment is relatively safe but make sure the ingredients of the product you're using are formaldehyde-free.
Here's a list of chemical ingredients used in cosmetic products that release formaldehyde:
- DMDM hydantoin
- Methyl glycol
- Imidazolidinyl urea
- Diazolidinyl urea
- Polyoxymethylene urea
- Sodium hydroxymethylglycinate
Formaldehyde-free products will not make your hair super straight but it is better for your hair. After all, the ultimate aim for getting a keratin treatment should be smooth, soft and easily manageable hair, not poker straight unnatural hair.
You should also consider whether a keratin treatment will suit your hair or not. Keratin treatments work best for curly, thick and frizzy hair. People with straight and fine hair should not really go for it.
Think well before you decide to get a keratin treatment. Consider other factors like product cost, suitable products, treatment time, aftercare and the pros and cons of getting a keratin treatment.
Pros And Cons Of Keratin Treatment
Just like everything under the sun, getting a keratin treatment also has its own pros and cons.
1. Getting a keratin treatment will save you the trouble of having to straighten your hair frequently.
2. It will make your hair very soft and easily manageable.
3. A keratin treatment will keep your hair super smooth and frizz-free in any weather.
4. Getting a keratin treatment will make your hair strands stronger and minimize hair breakage.
5. It will also protect your hair from exposure to sun damage and other external environmental factors.
6. A keratin treatment lasts for about 3 - 6 months. You can enjoy flaunting your luscious locks for a long time.
7. You won't have to use styling products on your hair as long as your keratin treatment lasts. Frequently using heat styling products can damage the hair. Hence getting a keratin treatment is comparatively beneficial in the long run.
1. Getting a keratin treatment might burn a hole in your pocket. Keratin treatments are expensive.
2. You cannot wash your hair for at least three days after getting a keratin treatment.
3. You cannot style your hair in buns and ponytails or wear clips and pins in your hair for at least three days after getting a keratin treatment.
4. You have to be very careful with your hair while sleeping (friction), working out (sweat) or swimming (water) for a few days after getting a keratin treatment.
5. You cannot use regular shampoos containing Sodium Laureth sulphate. You must use an SLS free shampoo.
6. Keratin treatments containing formaldehyde can be harmful to health. It should be avoided by pregnant women. It can cause respiratory problems and allergic reactions in some cases.
7. Getting a keratin treatment can reduce your hairs volume. Frequent exposure to formaldehyde and over straightening your hair can also lead to weak hair and hair fall.
Top 5 Keratin Hair Mask
1. TRESemme Keratin Smooth Deep Treatment Masque
This Keratin hair mask from TRESemme is totally worth its price. It contains keratin and marula oil from Africa.
Its net volume is 300 millilitres. It is well packaged and can be easily carried around while travelling.
- The leave on time for this mask is only 3-5 minutes.
- It has a creamy texture and can be spread easily.
- It makes the hair super soft and easily detangles knots.
- It makes the hair frizz-free and tames flyaway hairs.
- It makes the hair smooth and shiny without weighing it down.
- The effects last for more than 48 hours.
- It is targeted at naturally straight hair types only so don't expect straightening effects.
2. Style Aromatherapy Professional Keratin Hair Mask
This hair mask from Style Aromatherapy has a refreshing scent of apples. It is excellent for taking care of your hair after you get a keratin treatment or straightening. Its volume is 200 Millilitres.
It gives all the results it claims. It is also cruelty-free and comes in a sustainable packaging
- It has an impressive blend of Moroccan argan oil, keratin, vegetable protein, rosemary extract, ginger extract, shea butter etc.
- Its content of essential oils is an added bonus with moisturizing benefits.
- It keeps the hair straight and smooth.
- It keeps the hair frizz-free and glossy in any season or temperature.
- It is free from salt, paraben, SLS and SLES. This protects the expensive keratin infused in your hair for a longer duration.
- Its results last for more than a week.
- It is easy to spread and requires just a little amount due to its thick, creamy texture.
3. Bella Vita Organic Keratin Hair Mask Spa Cream
This hair mask from Bella Vita Organic has a mild coconut scent. Its volume is 200 grams. It is richly packed with coconut oil, argan oil, shea butter, panthenol, vitamin E and Keratin.
- The leave on time for this mask is about 10 minutes only.
- It is excellent for deeply conditions dry hair.
- It moisturizes and hydrates the hair.
- It repairs hair damage.
- It gives instant smoothening and straightening effects.
- It can be used as an alternative to hair oiling.
- It is perfectly safe for coloured and chemically treated hair.
- It does not contain any parabens, mineral oils or other harmful chemicals.
4. Keralooks Professional Keratin Brazilian Nourishing Hair Mask
This hair mask from Keralooks Professional offers deep conditioning with a unique formula. It will not disappoint you or your hair. Its volume is 1000 millimetres.
- The leave on time for this mask is about 10-15 minutes only.
- It nourishes and hydrates the hair.
- It increases the strength of the hair.
- It is excellent for chemically treated hair.
- It increases the durability of straightened and smoothened hair.
- It repairs dry, dull and damaged hair.
- It has a nice fragrance.
- It is well packaged and can be carried while travelling.
5. Schwarzkopf Professional Bc Keratin Smooth Perfect Treatment
This hair mask is packaged quite prettily and is easily portable. Its volume is 1 millilitre. It delivers exactly what it promises. Your hair will surely love it.
- The leave on time for this mask is about 5 minutes but it works better if left for about 10 minutes.
- It has a creamy consistency and is evenly distributed.
- It moisturizes and nourishes the hair from root to tip. It makes the hair smooth, shiny, frizz-free and knot-free.
- It has a very pleasant fragrance.
- It might take a little extra time and water to thoroughly wash out this product from your hair strands.
If you liked this article and it was helpful, make sure you follow us on the social media platforms and subscribe to PinkAdda for amazing content delivered straight to your mailbox! ❤️
Get the best we have to offer right in your inbox