Acne-prone skin refers to skin that is very susceptible to acne breakouts.
Taking care of acne-prone skin requires much more care and caution.
Excess oils can trigger nasty breakouts. Over exfoliating and over-drying can prompt the sebaceous glands to produce extra oils to compensate for the lack of moisture.
[Also Read: The Ultimate Guide You Need To Get Rid Of Acne]
The T- zone (forehead, nose and chin) is the most acne-prone area in our face. Acne can be of many types including blackheads, whiteheads, pimples papules, pustules boils etc.
Lifestyle Changes For Reducing And Preventing Acne
1. No Poking
It is very hard to resist the temptation of touching pimples and acne but poking and prodding will only make the infection worse and can spread it to other areas.
It can also cause unwanted cuts, scratches, bruises and you will end up with a nasty scar.
2. Healthy Diet
Ultimately, what we put inside our bodies is what's reflected on the outside.
Eating a healthy and balanced diet will keep your body fit, clear your skin and keep your hair and nails healthy.
Avoid consuming excess oil, salt and dairy products and processed food.
3. Drink Your Water
Water is life. Drink enough water to keep your body nourished and hydrated.
Water helps to flush out the toxins accumulated in the body. Water keeps the skin hydrated and healthy.
Healthy skin has lesser chances of getting acne and greater chances of fighting acne quickly.
4. Get Enough Rest
We are all familiar with the term 'beauty sleep'. Our skin rejuvenates itself while we sleep.
A good sleep cycle will ensure that your body gets enough time to rest and repair itself. Make sure to have at least 6-7 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
Exfoliating the skin gently at least once a week helps in removing the dead skin cells and cleaning clogged pores.
A natural homemade exfoliating scrub can be made using orange peel powder and milk.
Remember to exfoliate very gently. Do not exfoliate on the acne. Wait till it clears up and then exfoliate routinely to prevent further breakouts.
Moisturizing acne-prone skin might seem silly but do not make the mistake of skipping it. Moisturizing keeps the skin soft and supple. Lack of nourishment can make the skin dry and flaky leading to more skin problems.
Aloe vera gel and tea tree oil are good natural moisturizers for acne-prone skin.
7. Clean Pillowcase And Bedsheet
Our skin comes in direct contact with our pillowcases and bedsheet. They collect oil, dead skin cells and dirt over time.
It is important to wash and change them every week. Face and body towels should be washed frequently too.
Dietary supplements like fish oil supplements, vitamin A, vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin B, Zinc, Omega 3, Omega 6 supplements etc are very beneficial for acne-prone skin.
Additional Tips You Shouldn't Miss Out On
1. Letting the skin breath freely is very important. Always keep your skin clean. Make sure to remove all the makeup before going to bed.
2. Remember to clean all the objects that come in direct contact with your face and skin. Mobile phones, makeup brushes, eyeglasses etc should be often cleaned and wiped to prevent any infection.
3. Wash your hair twice a week if you have oily hair. Wear a hairband and style your hair in a bun after you oil it to prevent oily hair from coming in contact with your skin.
4. Make sure to wipe off sweat and take a shower as soon as possible after a workout or any activity that causes sweating. Sweat clogs up the skin's pores and makes the skin acne-prone.
5. Always wear sunscreen with a minimum SPF 40 before stepping out under the scorching sun. Carry sun protection accessories like umbrellas and sunglasses. Sun damage can be harmful to acne-prone skin.
6. Always pat dry your skin. Rubbing the skin with fabric can cause friction and irritation which might aggravate sensitive skin. Gently patting the skin dry also improves blood flow to the area.
7. Acne causes stress and stressing about acne takes a toll on your skin's overall appearance.
Combat stress and anxiety with meditation, deep breathing, exercising or hobbies like painting, dancing, gardening etc.
8. Do not try new acne skincare products and remedies every week or so. This only irritates the skin and causes more breakouts.
Choose a treatment method and stick to it for at least two months to see visible results. If you don't notice any improvement then move on to the next method.
[Also Read: Acne Scars: Types, Treatments And Powerful Home Remedies]
How To Select Products For Your Skin?
Acne-prone skin is vulnerable and sensitive hence choosing the right skincare products is very necessary while taking care of it.
1. Look out for the following ingredients while buying skincare products for acne-prone skin:
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs)
- Salicylic acid
- Glycolic acid
- Vitamin C
- Lactic acid
- Azelaic Acid
- Benzoyl Peroxide
2. Make sure that your skincare products, makeup and sunscreen are labelled as non-comedogenic.
3. If you have oily skin, avoid using oil-based skincare products as it can make your skin more oily and greasy. Choose water-based products instead.
4. Do not use alcohol-based toners or skincare products on dry skin. Use organic and herbal products.
5. Use soaps, face wash and cleansers that are and gentle on the skin. Mild products that do not have artificial fragrance are better for the skin.
[Also Read: What Is My Skin Type And It's Preferred Products?]
- Kaya Clinic Acne Free Purifying Cleanser, Salicylic Acid enriched face wash for acne-prone & oily skin
- Plum Green Tea Alcohol-Free Toner, For Oily & Acne Prone Skin, Vegan Skin Care
- WOW Skin Science Anti-Acne Neem & Tea Tree Clay Face Mask for Refreshing & Refining Acne-Prone Skin
- Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash For Acne Prone Skin With Salicylic Acid
- RE' EQUIL Oil Control Anti Acne Face Wash for Oily, Sensitive and Acne-Prone Skin
- Jovees Acne-Prone Skin Routine (Set of 3) Neem Face Wash & Cucumber Toner and Anti Acne Pimple Cream
- Brinton AcMist Moisturizing Cream Gel for Acne Prone and Oily Skin
- Dermafique Acne Avert Cleansing Mousse Facewash for Acne-Prone Skin, Non-comedogenic
- Dot & Key Zit Zapping Skin Clarifying Anti Acne Face Serum, with clary sage and tea tree oil for acne-prone skin
- UrbanBotanics Oil-Free Moisturizer For Face - Mattifying Moisturiser Face Cream for Acne-Prone Skin
If you liked this article and it was helpful, make sure you follow us on the social media platforms and subscribe to PinkAdda for amazing content delivered straight to your mailbox! ❤️
Get the best we have to offer right in your inbox