I was craving for some hot Thai curry a few days back. I googled the recipe and checked the ingredients only to realize "I DON'T HAVE INGREDIENTS", and it's impossible to go out at this point of time and buy lemongrass and Thai curry paste (pffft no). So I decided to cook it MY way with the ingredients present in my kitchen.
This is a recipe for Red Thai Curry (with limited and available resources).
For the curry paste
- 2 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 8 Red chillies (soaked in hot water)
- 1 large onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- lemon zest (to substitute for lemongrass)
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- Salt to taste
For the Curry
- 2 tsp Coconut oil
- 1 bunch of spring onions (chopped)
- 1 bunch of coriander
- Half a bunch of Spinach
- 100 gm baby corn
- Two chicken breasts (sliced)/ a block of paneer
- 3 tbsp of red curry paste
- 250 ml of coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter
- 2 tsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 tbsp roasted peanuts (crushed)
- salt to taste
Steps to follow:
- Grind all the ingredients of the curry paste together into a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a vessel and add chopped spring onions, chopped coriander leaves, chopped spinach, and sliced baby corn to it.
- Slice the chicken breasts and add it along with the vegetables. For my vegetarian family, I added chunks of paneer to it.
- As it starts to change its colour, add the curry paste that we made earlier, to it.
- Cook it for some time and then add the coconut milk to the pot gradually, at low flame.
- To this, add peanut butter, soya sauce, and honey.
- Give a good stir and wait until the sauce gets thicker. Add some water to the curry and cook it further.
- Add lemon juice to it at the end.
- Sprinkle some crushed peanuts in it and save some for the plating.
- Cook for another ten minutes and serve hot with steamed rice.
That's it? That's it. Super easy and SUPER delicious. Make sure you try this recipe out and home and let me know how it turned out.
For more interesting content, check out our other articles.
Get the best we have to offer right in your inbox