Since centuries ago, women in China, Japan and Korea have been using this magical water to keep their hair lustrous and their skin youthful.
During the Heian-era in Japan, the noblewomen had incredibly long hair. Even today, the Yao women of the ancient Chinese village Huang Luo have dramatically long and black hair.
Rice powder continues to be an integral part of many Korean skincare routines.
What Is Rice Water?
Rice water is simply the white, starchy water that is left behind after soaking or boiling rice grains in it.
Rice water is a miracle elixir with a myriad of beauty benefits.
In almost every Asian country, rice is the most common and staple food that is consumed every day.
Let's take a look at how to use this humble ingredient for getting gorgeous hair and beautiful skin.
The Powerful Ingredients Of Rice Water
- Amino acids
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
Rice water is also richly packed with antioxidants, proteins, lipids, other vital vitamins and minerals which are beneficial for our hair and skin.
How To Make Rice Water?
Making rice water requires just two ingredients- Rice and Water.
Rice water can be made in two ways :
- Soaking is the simplest way to make rice water.
- Take 1 or 1/2 cup of uncooked rice according to your requirement. Wash it thoroughly and drain out the water to remove any dirt or impurities.
- Now soak the washed rice in a bowl of clean water. Stir it occasionally so that the water turns milky and cloudy.
- Let it soak for about one hour and then strain the water into a clean glass bottle.
- Boiling is another hassle-free way to make rice water in no time. Put the cleaned rice for boiling in a cooker or pot.
- Remember to add twice the amount of water that you normally use while cooking rice.
- When the rice is half cooked, strain out the extra water in a bowl.
- Let it cool down and transfer it into a glass bottle.
How To Make Fermented Rice Water?
Fermented rice water is more potent than normal rice water.
Undergoing fermentation enhances the properties of the already existing vitamins and minerals and makes it more powerful.
Fermentation also lowers the rice water's pH level and matches it with that of our hair to balance it.
A substance called 'Pitera' which is formed during fermentation stimulates new cell generation in the skin.
Simply let your rice water jar sit at room temperature for 24 hours to ferment it. Shift it to the fridge when it starts emanating a sour smell.
Dilute it with plain water before using if you think it is too potent.
How To Use Rice Water?
For HairAfter rinsing off the shampoo, rinse your hair once more with rice water. Massage it gently into the scalp and work your way down to the ends.
Finally, wash it off thoroughly after 4-5 minutes.
For SkinFreeze the rice water in ice trays and rub the cool ice cubes on your skin in circular motions.
You can also mix rice water with rice power or Multani mitti to form a smooth paste and rub it all over your body. Wash it off after 10 minutes.
Rice water can also be used as a final rinse while bathing.
Benefits Of Rice Water For Hair
- Strengthens the hair roots
- Reduces hair fall, breakage and friction in hair
- Promotes new hair growth and makes the hair longer
- Makes the hair smooth and soft
- Helps the hair to detangle easily
- Conditions and nourishes the hair
- Treats split ends
- Removes lice
Benefits Of Rice Water For Skin
- Exfoliates and rejuvenates the skin
- Lightens and brightens the skin
- Soothes irritated skin and treats sunburn
- Protects the skin from UV rays
- Delays signs of ageing like wrinkles, fine lines and age spots
- Tones and moisturises the skin
- Tightens the pores and makes the skin firm
- Treats skin conditions like acne, dermatitis and eczema
- Has astringent properties to reduce excess oiliness
- Makes the skin youthful and supple
A word of caution - Do not overuse rice water since the abundance of proteins in it can actually dry out the hair and skin.
If you loved this article, make sure you follow us on the social media platforms and subscribe to PinkAdda for amazing content delivered straight to your mailbox! ❤️
Get the best we have to offer right in your inbox