Losing some strands of hair every day is normal but losing a lot of hair daily can be a nightmare.
Hair fall can happen due to a lot of underlying causes and to treat hair fall effectively, it is important to know the exact cause.
Read on to know what causes hair fall, useful tips to help prevent hair fall and effective home remedies to cure hair fall.
Causes Of Hair Fall
- Excessive hairstyling products that use heat.
- Wrong hair care products.
- Nutritional deficiency
- Stress & Anxiety
- Hormonal fluctuations
- Puberty, pregnancy, menopause
- Heredity and genetics
- Chemotherapy, thyroid disorders, secondary syphilis, anaemia etc.
- Certain medications, pills, antidepressants and drugs
- Unhealthy lifestyle
12 Powerful Tips For Preventing Hair Fall
1. Keep your combs and other hair care accessories clean. Remember to comb your hair starting from the bottom. Comb your hair slowly, with patience and care.
2. Keep your hair clean. Wash your hair to cleanse dandruff, oil, sweat and grime. Don't over-wash your hair and strip off all necessary oils either.
3. Always wash your hair with cold water. Don't comb wet hairs. Pat dry your hair using a cotton t-shirt. Let your hair air dry naturally.
4. Feed your hair healthy foods like lean meats, fish, soy, nuts, sweet potatoes, eggs, onions, spinach and lentils. Foods rich in iron, copper, zinc and proteins are excellent for healthy hair.
5. Comb your hair before shampooing. Be gentle while applying shampoo to your scalp. Use just your fingertips. Apply conditioner only on the hair ends.
6. Use a mild and lightweight shampoo to prevent weighing down your hair. Try to avoid styling your hair using heat treatments which can damage them further.
7. Don't tie your hair in tight hairstyles that pull your hair from the roots. Tight ponytails, braids and buns cause hair trauma. Use cloth made hair accessories.
8. Choose your hair care products wisely. Most shampoos contain Sodium Laureth Sulfate and other harsh chemicals that weaken and damage your hair in the long run. Choose organic products that suit your hair type.
[Also Read: 20 Mild Shampoos That Will Protect Your Hair From Further Damage]
9. Give yourself regular head massages. Oil your hair at least once a week. Use any carrier oil that suits your hair and massage it well into your scalp for at least 5 minutes. This will nourish your hair and improve blood circulation too.
10. Consider including supplements in your diet. Supplements like vitamins A, B, C, D, E, Omega 3, Iron, Selenium, Zinc and Biotin are effective in treating hair fall and related hair problems.
11. Protect your hair from the sun by using hats, scarves or umbrellas. Don't use chlorinated water to wash your hair. Wash your hair immediately if it gets wet in the rain.
12. Change your lifestyle habits to maintain hair hygiene, get adequate sleep, combat stress and quit unhealthy habits like smoking and consuming alcoholic beverages.
Bonus Tip: Try yoga asanas that have benefits for the hair, for example - Adho Mukha Savasana, Uttanasana, Ustrasana etc. Balayam Yoga which involves simply rubbing your fingernails together (except the thumbs) is another easy yoga for hair growth.
12 Excellent Home Remedies To Stop Hair Fall
1. Egg Mask
- Eggs are like a superfood for your hair since they are rich in all protein, biotin, sulphur, zinc, phosphorous, iodine and selenium. You can use eggs to give your hair at-home keratin treatment.
- Beat an egg in a bowl, add a teaspoon of olive oil and honey. Mix it well and apply the paste from your hair roots to hair ends.
- Use the egg yolk if you have dry hair. Use only the egg whites if you have oily hair.
- Put on a shower cap and rinse off with a mild shampoo after 30 minutes. Use this hair mask once a week.
[Also Read: DIY Deep Conditioning Hair Masks For Strong, Silky And Smooth Hair]
2. Onion Juice
- Onion juice is packed with sulfur which regenerates hair follicles. Regular use of onion juice controls hair fall, stimulates new hair growth and keeps the scalp free from infections.
- Grate an onion (preferably purple coloured) and strain it through a muslin cloth. Apply the onion juice only on your scalp and hair roots.
- Rinse your hair after 1 hour. You can apply onion juice once a week.
3. Coconut Milk
- Coconut milk contains healthy saturated fatty acids along with a host of other vital nutrients. Coconut milk restores moisture, keeps your hair strong, slows down hair loss and helps the hair grow.
- The Lauric Acid present in coconut milk easily penetrates the hair and helps it to absorb essential nutrients.
- Grate the white coconut "flesh" and strain it through a fine cloth. Add one tablespoon yoghurt and one teaspoon of black pepper powder. Mix well and apply it to your hair.
- Rinse off after 20 minutes. You can do this once or twice a week.
4. Aloe Vera
- Aloe vera holds a special place in almost every beauty remedy because of its multiple benefits. It is antioxidant-rich, anti-inflammatory, nourishing and has medicinal properties.
- It is richly packed with Vitamins A, C, E, B1 & B2, calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, zinc, folic acid etc.
- Scoop out aloe vera gel from a fresh aloe leaf and rub the gel gently on your scalp and hair roots. You can also mix the gel with coconut oil, heat it slightly and massage it on your scalp.
- Rinse your hair with a mild shampoo after 1 hour. You can do this thrice or twice a week according to the requirement of your hair.
5. Beetroot Juice
- Beetroot contains vitamins like vitamins C, B1, B2, B5, B6, B9 and minerals like iron, potassium, magnesium, zinc, copper, manganese, phosphorous and selenium.
- Beetroot is rich in fibres and folic acid. Beetroot detoxifies the scalp, improves hair texture and provides nourishment to the hair follicles.
- Blend beetroot pieces to obtain the rich juice. Add henna powder in equal proportions. Mix well and apply it to your hair.
- Rinse your hair after 30 minutes. Use this mask once a week. You can also massage beetroot juice on your scalp and rinse after 20 minutes.
6. Amla Juice
- Amla is richly packed with vitamin C. Amla oil fights hair fall, strengthens the hair shaft and prevents premature greying. It adds shine, bounce and volume to the hair. It also makes the hair visibly darker.
- Take a fresh amla and blend it into paste form. Use the double boiling method to heat the amla paste with a carrier oil for 10 minutes. Massage this powerful and fragrant oil well into your scalp.
- Wash and rinse your hair after 1 hour. You can use amla oil once a week.
[Also Read: 10 Most Effective Home Remedies For Premature Greying Of Hair]
7. Ginger Juice
- Ginger contains beta-carotene, caffeic acid, capsaicin and gingerols. It prevents thinning and breaking of hair strands. It is full of vitamins, minerals and detoxifying properties. It also stimulates blood circulation.
- Grate a small piece of ginger and mix it will coconut or olive oil. Heat the oil to make it slightly warm. Massage your hair using this oil for about 5 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair after 25 minutes. You can use ginger oil twice a week.
8. Green Tea
- Green tea contains antioxidants and amino acids that strengthen hair roots, reduces hair fall and promotes hair regrowth. It contains Panthenol, Theanine, Caffeine and Epigallocatechin Gallate all of which are beneficial for your hair.
- Brew two bags of green tea in one cup of water. Let it cool down and gently massage it into your slightly damp hair roots.
- Rinse your hair after half an hour. You can do this thrice a week.
9. Avocado Mask
- Avocados are rich in monounsaturated fats, amino acids, biotin, iron, zinc and vitamins A, B, C, E and D. Avocado keeps the scalp healthy, moisturizes the hair, smoothens frizzy hair and encourages new hair growth.
- Mash or blend avocado and mix the pulp with olive or coconut oil. Add a little bit of honey and massage the mask on your hair.
- Rinse your hair after 40 minutes. You can apply an avocado mask once every week.
10. Fenugreek Seeds
- Fenugreek seeds are rich in protein, iron, calcium, potassium, folic acid and vitamins A, C and K. Fenugreek treats balding, hair fall, thinning hair, itchy scalp and dandruff.
- Soak fenugreek seeds overnight and blend them in the morning to make a smooth paste. Apply the paste on your scalp and hair ends too. Fenugreek has excellent conditioning properties.
- Let it sit on your hair for 30 minutes and rinse off. You can use fenugreek paste twice a week.
11. Fish Oil
- Fish oil primarily contains Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. It is very beneficial for the hair. Fish oil nourishes the hair, balances the hair cycle, reduces hair loss and promotes hair growth.
- Pierce a fish oil capsule and mix the oil with olive oil or coconut oil. Massage it on your whole scalp and apply a little on the tips too.
- Thoroughly rinse your hair with a mild shampoo. You can use fish oil treatment either once or twice a week depending on how dry or oily your hair is.
12. Bhringraj Oil
- Bhringraj or "false daisy" is the wonder herb for hair, recommended by all Ayurvedic scriptures. It effectively treats all kinds of hair issues like hair fall, greying hair, dandruff etc. It also boosts blood circulation to the scalp which strengthens hair follicles.
- Pluck fresh bhringraj leaves and crush them to make a dark green paste. Mix the paste with some coconut oil and let it sit for 15 minutes. Massage this aromatic oil into your hair roots and ends.
- Shampoo your hair as usual after 1 hour. You can do this once a week.
[Also Read: DIY Keratin Treatment Hair Masks At Home For Dry And Dull Hair - 2021]
If you liked this article and it was helpful, make sure you follow us on the social media platforms and subscribe to PinkAdda for amazing content delivered straight to your mailbox! ❤️
Get the best we have to offer right in your inbox